ICLs (Implantable Contact Lenses)
- Meet Dr. Darlington
- ICL (Implantable Contact Lens)
- Clear Lens Exchangedropdown
- Patient Information
- Patient Portaldropdown
- Payment & Financing
- In the Mediadropdown
Visian Implantable Collamer Lens
At The Eye Institute for Medicine & Surgery we pride ourselves in having the capability to offer our patients a complete selection of vision correction procedures that can be customized to their unique needs and provide the best possible outcomes. That’s why we’re excited to offer the Visian ® ICL™ (implantable Collamer® lens) at our center, an advanced vision correction option for our potential patients that is growing in popularity. To date more than 500,000 Visian ICLs have been implanted in patients worldwide. The Visian ICL is a lens made of Collamer implanted in the eye to correct moderate to severe nearsightedness.
Elite athletes, celebrities, and military personnel have chosen the Visian ICL™.
In fact, more than 98% of military personnel that have opted for the Visian ICL are seeing 20/20 or better.
VISIAN ICL FAQs
What is Visian ICL?
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) is made of an advanced soft-material lens, composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer, that provides not only UV protection and permanent vision correction, but also a quality of vision that is sharp, clear, and vivid. Additionally, the Visian ICL procedure does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea. There is no maintenance associated with the lens, and it is intended to remain in place as long as you are satisfied with your vision. If at any point your vision changes or you wish to have them removed, it can be done easily and because your cornea is in its natural state, you are able to pursue other vision correction options.
What are the advantages of the Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45, and suffer from a moderate to severe degree of nearsightedness, then you may be a candidate for this great procedure and the advantages it provides. These include:
Immediate vision improvement at all distances – eliminating the need for glasses or contacts
- Sharp, Clear Vision: You can enjoy a new level of vision correction that’s sharp, clear, vivid, and has great depth and dimension.
- Designed to be Permanent, Yet Is Removable: One of the compelling advantages of the Visian ICL is that while it can permanently correct your vision, the lens can be simply removed and/or replaced if necessary. Also, concerns involving the cornea typically do not apply to the Visian ICL, as no natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped in during implantation.
- Does Not Cause Dry Eye Syndrome: Visian ICL does not cause or contribute to dry eyes. If you have dry eyes, ask your doctor if the Visian ICL may be the best vision correction option for you.
- Short Recovery Time: The recovery for the Visian ICL is quick and pain-free, and may be as little as one day due to the very small size of the opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and many times go back to work the next day.
- UV Protection: Long-term exposure to UV radiation can damage your eyes; and longer term or more intense exposure increases the chance of eye disorders including the development of cataracts and some retinal problems. As an added feature, the Visian ICL advanced lens material contains a UV blocker that actually prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, possibly preventing the development of UV related eye disorders.
- Treatment Flexibility for the Future: Your vision changes as you grow older and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. An important benefit with the Visian ICL is that you have options for future treatments. Because Visian ICL maintains the structure of the eye, the measurements required for new procedures are often much easier to identify and can increase the likelihood of positive outcomes.
- Simplification of Life: There is no daily maintenance as with traditional contact lenses, and no concern of problems from daily activities such as swimming and sports.
- LASIK Alternative: Patients who have corneas too thin or prescriptions too high for LASIK can still have a fantastic option for lasting vision correction.
How is the procedure performed?
The Visian ICL procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes. Prior to the procedure you will receive topical anesthesia drops to minimize discomfort. Then the doctor creates a very small opening to insert the lens into the eye with an injector. Once the lens is injected, it unfolds in the eye and the procedure is complete. Patients usually experience an immediate improvement in vision and are “wowed” by the results.
The Visian ICL procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes.
Who is a candidate for Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL. This procedure is able to treat a range of patients from low to extremely high refractive errors and is especially beneficially to those with thin corneas and dry eyes. It is preferable that the patient has not undergone any ophthalmic surgery and does not have a history of eye disease such as iritis, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy.
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL.
Who is NOT a candidate for Visian ICL?
We always recommend you undergo a vision consultation to determine the best vision correction plan for you. If the Visian ICL is not right for you, other options are available. Vision ICL may not be the best course of action for:
- Patients whose eye prescription has changed in the last six months
- Patients without a large enough anterior cell density
- Patients with an anterior chamber depth of less than 3.00mm
- Patients who are pregnant or nursing
- Patients with uncontrolled dry eye or blepharitis
- Patients with corneal endothelial dystrophy
The Visian ICL received FDA approval to treat a wide range of myopia in 2005.
Is the Visian ICL FDA approved?
Yes. The Visian ICL received approval from the FDA for a wide range of myopic (nearsightedness) correction needs.
What is the track record of the Visian ICL?
Extensive research and development preceded the introduction of the Visian ICL. It is now being used by more than 500,000 patients worldwide. The satisfaction rate among patients is extremely high – above 99%. The Visian ICL provides unparalleled quality of vision and has excellent and stable outcomes for patients with moderate to severe myopia. The Visian ICL has been available internationally for over 10 years.
Can the Visian ICL be removed from my eye?
Although the lens is intended to remain in place permanently, a surgeon can remove the implant if necessary.
Is the Visian ICL visible to others?
No. The Visian ICL is positioned behind the iris (the colored part of the eye), where it is invisible to both you and observers.
The Visian ICL implant is invisible both to you and observers.
Will I be able to feel the Visian ICL once it is in place?
The Visian ICL is designed to be completely unobtrusive after it is put in place. It stays in position by itself and does not interact with any of the eye's structures.
Feel free to contact us at 321-722-4443 with any questions that you may have, or to schedule an eye exam with Dr. Darlington to discover if the Visian ICL or an alternative vision correction procedure is right for you.